Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I done messed up....

Antibiotics... still can't decide on this one...

A while back I wrote a post about germs and how they are GOOD for you...

And now I'm back in a spiral of taking medications...

You all remember the Hoe Toe right? Well it was supposed to take only 8 weeks to heal COMPLETELY. Well.... it's EIGHT WEEKS today, and the bitch is still not healed :(

I have talked to the doc in both ears at every single visit about why my toe is taking SO LONG to heal.... I don't think she gets it either. I'm 29, not 60. I do smoke, and I do have a cold house so my toes *probably* don't have the best circulation but at 29 you would think that it shouldn't be a problem conducive to poor healing times... unless for some reason unknown to me I have PVD, Raynaud's, or a slew of other diagnosis that all seem virtually impossible for me to have....

AND to top it all off, It's been infected. Not once, but twice. No no no.... there was never a culture taken to prove that there was infection but twice that dang toe has turned red in the corners, swelled, and become painful again. Which generally indicates infection...

So I've taken Levaquin. Twice. Second time around? Tendinitis! WTF!?! Didn't really put two and two together until I went to my doctor to discuss all this joint pain I was having.... I walked in and my nurse friend said, "Oh! You mean like the commercials right?"

Huh?

Yeah, I don't pay attention to those lawsuit commercials against drug companies much either... BUT...

I think I will now.

No, I'm not gonna jump on the lawsuit train by any means... my tendinitis is an annoyance, yes. SO far though, no ruptured tendons. Just a lot of dull, achy pain, especially in my hip joints. (Makes for not so fun sexy time if you get my drift.... ;)

Back to the original meaning behind this post though, since I didn't mean for it to turn into a huge "bitch" fest (but it did)....

I DO still believe that germs are good for us. SOMETIMES though, the benefits of an antibiotic out way the idea of our own immune system working at a slower pace (as in the case of my toe, osteomyelitis of the toe bone generally leads to IV antibiotics for 6-8 weeks, or total amputation of the toe.... scary right!?!)

So I'm at a stand still currently. My toe is starting to hurt, for a third time. I'm going to try and be STRONG this time though and refuse any more antibiotics for the time being.... the kicker is, every time I've taken the Levaquin, the toe has started to heal. And every time I've stopped taking it, the toe has started hurting again. The side effects from taking Levaquin are horrible though.... even besides the tendinitis... I couldn't sleep, my stomach was upset, etc.

Sad thing is, both of these topics have VERY limited information available for research....

Ugh. Frustrated.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Sorry to hear about your toe getting infected...AGAIN. I would get infections when I pulled the side of the toe nail and I would soak it in warm water and squeeze the pus out and put neosporan on it. I remember the throbbing in the middle of the night and knew it was getting or infected. Hope you heal soon.